We collect information in a few different ways:
When you give it to us or give us permission to obtain it
When you sign up for or use our services, you voluntarily give us certain information. This can include your name, profile photo, comments, resumes, certificates, education, email address you used to sign up, and any other information you provide us. When you’re using OvertureXL on your mobile device, you can also choose to provide us with location data. And if you choose to buy something on OvertureXL, you provide us with payment information, contact information (e.g., address and phone number), and what you purchased. If you buy something for someone else on OvertureXL, you’d also provide us with their shipping details and contact information.You also may give us permission to access your information in other services. For example, you may link your Facebook, Google Plus, Twitter, or LinkedIn account to OvertureXL, which allows us to obtain information from those accounts (such as your friends or contacts). The information we get from those services often depends on your settings or their privacy policies, so be sure to check what those are.
We also get technical information when you use our products
These days, whenever you use a website, mobile application, or other internet service, there’s certain information that almost always gets created and recorded automatically. The same is true when you use our products. Here are some of the types of information we collect:
- Log data. When you use OvertureXL, our servers automatically record information (“log data”), including information that your browser sends whenever you visit a website or your mobile app sends when you’re using it. This log data may include your Internet Protocol address, the address of the web pages you visited that had OvertureXL features, browser type and settings, the date and time of your request, how you used OvertureXL, and cookie data.
- Device information. In addition to log data, we may also collect information about the device you are using OvertureXL on, including what type of device it is, what operating system you are using, device settings, unique device identifiers, and crash data. Whether we collect some or all of this information often depends on what type of device you’re using and its settings. For example, different types of information are available depending on whether you are using a Mac or a PC, or an iPhone or an Android phone. To learn more about what information your device makes available to us, please also check the policies of your device manufacturer or software provider.
Our partners and advertisers may share information with us
Sometimes our partners may let us collect information when you use their services, or may share with us the information they collect. For example
- Some websites or apps use OvertureXL features. If so, we may collect log information (described above) from those sites or apps.
- Online advertisers typically share information with the websites or apps where they run ads to measure and/or improve those ads. We also receive this information, which may include information like whether clicks on ads led to purchases or a list of criteria to use in targeting ads.
How do we use the information we collect?
We use the information we collect to provide our services to you and make them better, develop new products, and protect OvertureXL and our users. For example, we may log how often people use two different versions of a product, which can help us understand which version is better.
We also use the information we collect to offer you customized content:
- For example, if you’ve indicated that you’re interested in the environment, we may suggest environment-related activities and third-party
We also use the information we collect to:
- Send you updates such as what government bills are being drafted or up for vote or where a politician may be at a public event.
- Help your friends and contacts find you on OvertureXL. For example, if you sign up using a Facebook account, we may help your Facebook friends find your account on OvertureXL when they first sign up for OvertureXL. Or, we may allow people to search for your account on OvertureXL using your email address.
- Respond to your questions or comments.The information we collect may be “personally identifiable” (meaning it can be used to specifically identify you as a unique person) or “non-personally identifiable” (meaning it can’t be used to specifically identify you). We use both types of information, and combinations of both types, as described above. We may use or store information wherever OvertureXL does business.
What choices do you have about your information?
Our goal is to give you simple and meaningful choices over your information. If you have a OvertureXL account, many of the choices you have on OvertureXL are built directly into the product or your account settings. For example, you can:
- Access and change information in your profile page at any time, choose whether your profile page is available to search engines, or choose whether others can find your OvertureXL account using your email address.
- Link or unlink your OvertureXL account from an account on another service. For some services (like Facebook), you can also choose whether or not to publish your activity on OvertureXL to that service.
- Choose whether your purchases on OvertureXL will be used to customize recommendations and ads for you. You can view and manage your purchase history by going to “Order history” in your account settings, and if you hide a purchase from your history, we will not use it to customize OvertureXL for you.
- Also, we support the Do Not Track browser setting, and you can learn more about how it affects our collection and use of off-OvertureXL data
- Close your account at any time. When you close your account, we’ll deactivate it and remove your pins and boards from OvertureXL. We may retain archived copies of your information as required by law or for legitimate business purposes (including to help address fraud and spam).
In addition to the examples above, we offer other choices that you can learn more about in our Help Center.
You may have choices available to you through the device or software you use to access OvertureXL. For example:
- The browser you use may provide you with the ability to control cookies or other types of local data storage.
- Your mobile device may provide you with choices around how and whether location or other data is shared with us.
To learn more about these choices, please see the information provided by the device or software provider.
How and when do we share information?
OvertureXL is a tool people use to find their inspirations, make their opinions heard, and inspire others in the process. The other limited instances where we may share your personal information include:
- When we have your consent. This includes sharing information with other services (like Facebook or Twitter) when you’ve chosen to link to your OvertureXL account to those services or publish your activity on OvertureXL to them. For example, you can choose to publish yours or other users’ posts on issues that matter to you to Facebook or LinkedIn page.
- Online advertisers typically use third party companies to audit the delivery and performance of their ads on websites and apps. We also allow these companies to collect this information on OvertureXL. To learn more, please see our Help Center.
- If we believe that disclosure is reasonably necessary to comply with a law, regulation, or legal request; to protect the safety, rights, or property of the public, any person, or OvertureXL; or to detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
- We may engage in a merger, acquisition, bankruptcy, dissolution, reorganization, or similar transaction or proceeding that involves the transfer of the information described in this Policy.
- We may also share aggregated or non-personally identifiable information with our partners, advertisers, or others
Our policy on children’s information
OvertureXL is not directed to children under 13. If you learn that your minor child has provided us with personal information without your consent, please contact us.
How do we make changes to this policy?
We may change this policy from time to time, and if we do we will post any changes on this page. If you continue to use OvertureXL after those changes are in effect, you agree to the revised policy. If the changes are significant, we may provide more prominent notice or get your consent as required by law.